Local Healthcare Providers

In your journey towards finding a diagnosis and help, you may need to seek the advise of medical specialists. Each type of specialist may approach the diagnosis and subsequent support in a different manner and the right approach (or combination of approaches) can be different for each person. Here are the services most commonly found helpful in when dealing with FND / NEAD.

Tried accessing rehabilitation options yet? See details below for Shona Pryde at Ulster University. You may also download the poster below as a pdf file by clicking on the poster.

Recruitment Advert v2 180921-18

Four Key Medical Services

Clinical Psychologist/Psychologists

The Neurologist may refer you to a neuropsychologist or psychologist. It is not because they think ‘it’s in your head ‘ but rather to help with coping strategies for chronic conditions, many people with conditions such as MS or Parkinson’s for example also attend these services. Clinical psychologists have skills and expertise both in managing functional symptoms as well as helping with any distress or mental health impacts. All trainee psychologists in Northern Ireland are taught how to recognise FND.

Your GP can also refer you to many services, but unfortunately, waiting lists for Neurologists and Psychologists are long.

The Five Health and Social Care trusts all have many local services for health and well being:

Belfast Health and Social Care Trust

Northern Health and Social Care Trust

Southern Health and Social Care Trust

South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust

Western Health and Social Care Trust

Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists

Services such as Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists have specialist expertise and understanding of movement problems and motor symptoms. They  are important to helping with rehabilitation, adaption and trying to improve things like exercise tolerance and mobility, for those with functional movement disorders.


When newly diagnosed by a Neurologist, you may be offered further support services depending on what your symptoms are and the severity of them. Your neurologist has vital expertise in terms of diagnostics and distinguishing FND from other conditions as well as reaching and giving a clear diagnosis. It is important to trust the diagnosis in order to manage the symptoms better.

Once the Neurologist is satisfied with your diagnosis, he will assess you for follow up care. If the symptoms are mild he may discharge you and place you under the care of the GP. If the symptoms are complex and chronic then follow up care may be needed.

Neurology Recall


Neurology Recall helpline:

Monday to Friday 9 am – 5 pm


Neurology patient advice line:

0800 980 1100

Northern Ireland has the additional difficulty with the ongoing cases regarding Dr. Watt and the disruption this has caused within the NHS and private patients. We understand that there are ongoing legal issues with this topic and will not comment on individual cases, however, separate information is available on this Dr Watt issue online.

Unfortunately, there are people caught up in the Dr Watt Inquiry and unsure what to do next. As well as the Neurology patient advice line, the Neurological Care and Advice Service is a free advice and support network for those needing advice regarding Neurological conditions.